- Outdoor Kitchens and Concrete Countertops
- Outdoor Kitchen Pictures
- Choosing the Right Place
- Outdoor Kitchen Configuration and Sizing
- Industry Standard Heights for Concrete Countertops
- Outdoor Living: Planning and design tips for outdoor rooms
- Design Ideas for Outdoor Kitchens and Countertops
- How to Design a Trendy Outdoor Kitchen
- How to Embed Glass in Concrete Countertops
- Fiber-Optic Concrete Countertops
- Comparison Chart: Cast-in-place countertops vs. granite or tile
- Outdoor Kitchen Flooring Options
- Outdoor Kitchen Flooring Considerations
- Concrete Patios
- Stamped Concrete
- Related Information
- Concrete Contractors: Find Products and Suppliers
Outdoor Kitchen Configurations and Sizing
Nowadays outdoor kitchens are more elaborate extensions of the indoor kitchen and far more sophisticated than a simple charcoal grill. Outdoor kitchens need to be sized appropriately for the space available while meeting the entertaining and dining needs of the homeowner.
- Use the equipment list of grill size, appliances and accessories to calculate how much space is required for the counter.
- Allow for placement of a serving platter between each accessory or appliance on the counter. A good rule of thumb is 16".
Consider entertainment needs to figure out how many serve stations will be needed. If a bartender or caterer will be stationed at the counter regularly, leave a 3-4 foot working space around each.
- Scale your outdoor kitchen appropriately to the backyard space. In a smaller garden be careful not to overweight the size of the counter.
- Working triangles that are talked about so much when designing indoor kitchens are not as applicable outdoors. Of greater consideration is to plan for three main "stations" or "zones".
- Preparation zone
- Cook zone
- Serve zones (food and beverage)
Outdoor Kitchen Counter Layout Basics
- Basic stand alone counter
- L - shaped return
- Split levels for bar service
- Separate cook prep and serve section
View more counter layouts in the Outdoor Kitchen Photo Gallery.
Return to Outdoor Kitchens