- Outdoor Kitchens and Concrete Countertops
- Outdoor Kitchen Pictures
- Choosing the Right Place
- Outdoor Kitchen Configuration and Sizing
- Industry Standard Heights for Concrete Countertops
- Outdoor Living: Planning and design tips for outdoor rooms
- Design Ideas for Outdoor Kitchens and Countertops
- How to Design a Trendy Outdoor Kitchen
- How to Embed Glass in Concrete Countertops
- Fiber-Optic Concrete Countertops
- Outdoor Countertop Comparison: Concrete vs. granite or tile
- Outdoor Kitchen Flooring Options
- Outdoor Kitchen Flooring Considerations
- Concrete Patios
- Stamped Concrete
- Related Information
- Concrete Contractors: Find Products and Suppliers
How to Design a Trendy Outdoor Kitchen
Dividing backyard space into outdoor "rooms" is a growing trend in landscape and hardscape design with the biggest focus being on the outdoor kitchen. No longer just a barbeque counter or the lone charcoal grill, the outdoor kitchen is growing in size and functionality as it steals the spotlight and becomes a main focal point in the backyard. In this article, Scott Cohen, HGTV's favorite Garden Artisan, shares his insight on how to design today's trendy outdoor kitchens.
Nowadays outdoor kitchens are a more elaborate extension of the indoor kitchen and far more sophisticated than a simple charcoal grill. Outdoor kitchens need to be sized appropriately for the space available while meeting the entertaining and dining needs of the homeowner.
Start with this list of questions to help define the parameters for your design:
Entertaining needs: These questions will help you size the counter.
- How often do you grill?
- How many people do you entertain on a regular basis outdoors?
- At big parties?
- Will you need to be able to accommodate a bartender and/or caterer?
Equipment Wish List
- How large of a grill do you plan to use?
- What outdoor kitchen accessories and appliances do you want to include in your layout?
- Do you want the counter built at one height or create a split level counter with a portion of the counter at bar height? (Get industry standards for counter and bar-counter heights)
- How many people do you want to be able to have at the bar counter?
- Is there an area in the yard that you think would perform best for the outdoor kitchen?
- From which direction does the prevailing wind come?
- What are the sun and shade angles in the yard ?