- Concrete Pool Deck Info
- Pool Deck Pictures
- Pool Deck Design Ideas
- Stamped Concrete and Other Popular Pool Deck Surfaces
- Stamped Concrete
- Colored Concrete
- Exposed Aggregate
- Modern Concrete Pool Decks
- More Pool Deck Surfaces
- Compare Concrete Pool Decks
- Installing and Maintaining Concrete Pool Decks
- Pool Deck Cost
- Pool Coping
- Pool Deck Sealer
- Pool Deck Repair
- Pool Deck Resurfacing & Coatings
- Pool Deck Cleaning
- Other Resources
- Concrete Contractors: Find Concrete Products and Suppliers
- Design Ideas: Pool Deck Info
Exposed Aggregate Pool DecksUsing exposed aggregate to create a pebble pool deck
An exposed aggregate pool deck has a pebble-like finish and slip-resistant texture. Plus, it is attractive, affordable, durable and long-lasting.
Does exposed aggregate around a pool hurt your feet?
Some homeowners say they have no problem walking barefoot on exposed aggregate decking, while others say it is too rough.
Here are a couple ways to achieve a more comfortable walking surface:
- Pick a light exposure that only slightly reveals the aggregate
- Use 1/8-inch polished stones in the mix instead of raw stone
Can I turn my existing concrete into a pebble pool deck?
When having a brand new pool deck installed, small colored pebbles or stones are added to the mix and exposed by removing the top cream layer of the concrete. However, you can also achieve a pebble finish when resurfacing a pool deck.
Here are two options for resurfacing:
- Use a spray coating, with speckles of different colors to imitate exposed aggregate. Learn more: SUNDEK Aggregate Effects.
- Apply an epoxy coating blended with decorative stones to your existing pool deck.
How much does an exposed aggregate pool deck cost?
Exposed aggregate is a great choice for budget-friendly outdoor concrete with more interest than the typical plain gray. Expect to pay more than you would for a basic finish, but less than you would for stamped concrete.
To help you budget for your pool deck project, check out this guide to Concrete Pool Deck Cost.
Ideas for customizing exposed aggregate pool decking
For even more dramatic results, you can try any of the following:
- Use stones in contrasting colors to enhance the look
- Combine areas of plain and exposed aggregate finishes (see Combining Decorative Elements)
- Add in glass beads for a subtle sparkle in the sunlight
- Try glow-in-the-dark aggregate that illuminates at night
See Exposed Aggregate Concrete for more information.