- Get the Look - Exterior Overlay Pictures
- Buyer's Guide to Concrete Overlays: Compare stampable overlays, microtoppings, skim coats, spray-down systems, and self-leveling overlays
- Comparison Chart of Overlays and Resurfacing Systems: Which is best for your project?
- How-To Tips for Resurfacing Concrete
- Answers to Common Questions About Concrete Resurfacing: Advice from expert Chris Sullivan
- Reducing Bond Failures Caused by Moisture-Vapor Transmission
- Related Information:
- Understanding Concrete Resurfacing: Step-by-step overview, overlay options, surface preparation, maintenance, and more
- Concrete Overlay Videos with Bob Harris
CONCRETE RESURFACING PRODUCTSHow to pick the best concrete resurfacer for covering surface imperfections, or turning a plain slab from drab to fab
Many options are available to resurface existing concrete. Whether the concrete is cracked, heaving, spalling or just plain boring looking, a resurfacing system exists that can make the surface look like new again.
A concrete resurfacer can be used to beautify concrete and make it look new without having to replace the concrete entirely. You'll also find tip on how to best choose the resurfacer system needed for your project.
WHAT IS THE BEST CONCRETE RESURFACING PRODUCT?
The best concrete resurfacers offer flexibilty when it comes to application and finishes. Look for a product that is sprayable or can be trowel-applied. It is also nice if the material can be integrally colored and used with stencils or masking tape to create unique designs.
Need professional help? Find concrete resurfacing contractors near me.
When resurfacing outdoor areas, like a concrete driveway, you may need a different type of resurfacing product than when resurfacing indoor areas, like a garage floor.
Decide which of these characteristics are most important for your project, before purchasing resurfacing material:
- Water resistance
- UV resistance
- Ability to withstand freeze-thaw cycles
- Resistance to chemicals, oil and grease
- Ability to withstand heavy foot traffic found in commercial or retail applications
Additionally, different resurfacers can be applied at different thicknesses. Some projects call for a very thin layer of material, while others require more material to level or even out the concrete surface.
You should also consider turnaround time when picking the best product. Some resurfacers are ready for use in as little as 24 hours, which is important for businesses and public spaces.
Keep in mind that the resurfacer you choose is only as good as the concrete you apply it to. Sound concrete with minor flaws or cracking is the best candidate. Additionally, the concrete must be properly prepared before application and when mixing product you must follow the manufacturer's instructions.