- Concrete Furniture Home
- Concrete Furniture Photos
- Concrete Furniture: Facts and fiction
- The Virtues of Concrete Furniture
- Concrete Furniture Types
- Indoor Concrete Furniture
- Outdoor Concrete Furniture
- Concrete Office Furniture
- Concrete Storage Furniture
- Design Ideas
- Color Choices Abound
- Diverse Artisan's Backgrounds Yield Great Ideas
- Tips and Tricks of the Masters
- Concrete Furniture Design Ideas: Behind-the-scenes info and photos
- Free Concrete Furniture Catalog
- Related Information
- Learn How to Make Bent Concrete Furniture
- Reusable Furniture Molds: Buddy Rhodes unveils molds for casting concrete planters, stools, and tables.
- Concrete Contractors: Find GFRC Mixes for Precast Concrete
Circular Concrete Reception Desk Welcomes Hotel Patrons in StyleThis custom 10-foot-diameter desk, created using computer-aided design software and environmentally friendly concrete, reflects hotel's contemporary flair
This impressive circular concrete reception desk at the upscale Aloft Hotel in Milwaukee echos the sleek, contemporary look of the hotel while beautifully complementing the lobby's polished concrete floor.
A view behind the desk shows the built-in cabinetry as well as the lower counter and concrete backsplash.
All seams in the desk were filled with a grout specially color matched to the Rocky Mountain gray concrete.
To obtain a perfect circle, CustomCreteWerks relied on computer-aided design software to create the templates.
A CNC router precision cuts the forms.
Assembling the form sections for the main counter, backsplash, and work counter.
The challengeTo build a state-of-the-art concrete reception desk for the Aloft Hotel in downtown Milwaukee, a modern five-story, 160-room facility featuring loft-inspired design. In addition to the curvilinear shape, the desk had to be built to discretely accommodate storage cabinetry and computer systems and minimize their view to the public.
- Concrete mix: CustomCreteWerks N-viroCrete™, a lightweight environmentally friendly concrete, made from recycled materials
- Sealer: CustomCreteWerks N-hansed™ StainProof sealer
- Integral color: Rocky Mountain gray from the CustomCreteWerks Design Series line
Secrets to successTo achieve a precise radius, CustomCreteWerks used computer-aided design software (from SolidWorks) to draw the desk and a CNC router to cut all templates and forms. The top was made in four pieces, the lower counter in three pieces, and the backsplash in five pieces for easier assembly.
- The N-hansed StainProof surface requires no resealing and only routine cleaning.
- N-viroCrete concrete incorporates recycled pozzolans.
- The desk was locally manufactured at the CustomCreteWerks shop in Racine, Wis. Materials and supplies were also purchased locally and in bulk when possible.
Lessons learned"The biggest challenge was working with the cabinetmaker," says Farrey. "Due to inconsistencies, we had to re-template the structure after it was installed and make more changes before casting. Next time, we will supply a CNC template to the cabinetmaker and one for the jobsite. This will allow us to manufacture everything earlier and accommodate tight deadlines."
ManufacturerDan Farrey, President
Racine, WI 53404