Recently, a reader wrote in asking where to find hard rubber letters that could be used for creating cast-in-place concrete signs. We searched and found some resources that might be useful to get the job done.


I found your website looking for letters that can be placed on the inside face of formwork for concrete monument signs. I need to specify them and I can't find any manufacturers. What I'm talking about here, are hard rubber letters anywhere from 4 to 8 inches tall, 1 to 2 inch stroke width and maybe 3/4 to 1 inch deep that can be adhered to the inside of the form, cast with the sign, pull the forms and VOILA! you have your cast-in-place monument sign with recessed letters. Do you have any sources for these types of letters? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sacramento, CA



Although we couldn't locate a source for hard rubber letters, we did come across two other types of letters that should work for your concrete monument signs.

The first is a reverse lettering kit that contains a combination of 78 letters and numbers made of cast aluminum. These reusable letters are specifically designed for use with concrete molds. Simply apply silicone caulking to the letters to temporarily adhere them to the molds during casting. The lettering comes in several sizes, ranging from 1/2 inch to 2 inches in height. You can order the kits online from LaBrake's Garden Path & Pond.

The Craft Place

Another possibility is to use letters made of Styrofoam and adhere them to your mold. You might be able to find these at a local craft store, or you can purchase them online from The Craft Place, which offers the letters (sold individually) in 8- and 12-inch sizes.

You might also find this company to be a useful resource for mold letters.

Submit Your Own Project Photos
Read More About Concrete Stamping
Return to Concrete Statuary Design Ideas