- Outdoor Living and Backyard Ideas Home
- Elements of an outdoor area
- Design tips for outdoor living spaces
- Top trends in outdoor concrete design
- Outdoor room checklist (PDF)
- Fire Pit or Fireplace?
- Ways to Enhance Outdoor Rooms
- Outdoor fireplaces
- Fire pits
- Outdoor kitchens and countertops
- Seat walls
- Outdoor Concrete Furniture
- Concrete planters
- Backyard Landscaping with Concrete
- Concrete patios
- Landscape borders
- Stairs and steps
- Concrete walkways
- Concrete garden bridges
- Water features
- Architectural accents
- Concrete statuary
- Backyard Landscaping: Get more ideas from LandscapingNetwork.com
- Backyard Recreation Options
- Concrete pool decks: Design and layout tips
- Concrete tennis courts: Planning and construction
- Other Resources
- Outdoor Decorative Floors
- Free Outdoor Living Catalog
Five Ideas for Creating Decorative "Floors" Outdoors
More and more homeowners are extending their indoor spaces to the outdoors, creating backyard "living rooms" and kitchens perfect for al fresco dining and entertaining. A key element of any outdoor room is its "floor," which should be functional and weatherproof, yet as luxurious and decorative as any indoor flooring. Concrete is the ideal material for this purpose, combining unmatched durability with the ability to be enhanced by color, texture, and pattern. Here are ideas for how to dress up your outdoor floor and make it the focal point of your backyard retreat.
Cover it with an overlay
If you're building an outdoor room around an existing concrete patio or deck, you can cover it with a decorative overlay in any pattern and color desired. See Decorative Overlay System Doubles the Pleasure.
Add a stenciled rug
This concrete patio was covered with an outdoor "rug," with stencils used to create the intricate designs. Learn more.
Give it a faux tile look
You can "tile" your outdoor floor by stamping the concrete in a tile pattern and coloring the tiles to complement your outdoor décor.
Create a pretty pattern
You can create any pattern imaginable for your outdoor floor, including swirls, circles and free-form designs, by decorative engraving. This technique works on both new and existing concrete, and the results are especially impressive when enhanced by staining. Learn more about concrete engraving.
Apply a decorative medallion
Placing a medallion in the center of your outdoor floor is a simple way to add pizzazz. The medallion pattern can be created with stencils, engraving, or sawcuts, depending on the look you're after.