- Concrete Basements Home
- Can you have a basement? Water tables and soil conditions
- Types of basements: Masonry, poured concrete basements, precast panel basements
- Basement construction checklist
- Hiring a Contractor
- Choosing a poured concrete basement contractor: Questions to ask, professional associations
- Preventing Moisture Problems
- Waterproofing or dampproofing basements: Which to do
- Foundation drainage and waterproofing: How to keep below-grade spaces dry
- Keeping Moisture Out: Building healthier homes from the basement up
- Enhancing & Repairing Existing Basements
- Finished Basements: Tips for expanding your living quarters by designing a functional basement layout and making your space dry and comfortable
- Enhancing Basement Floors: Seven reasons why you should enhance rather than cover up concrete basement floors
- Repairing Bowed Basement Walls: A carbon-fiber-reinforced grid system permanently stabilizes bowed foundation walls with minimal disruption and no excavation
Types of basements: Masonry , Poured Concrete Basements, Precast Panel BasementsPoured Concrete Wall Basement
Poured Concrete wall basements are by far the most popular type of basement construction.
Here are some of the benefits of poured concrete walls:
Solid concrete is better able to resist cave-ins caused by lateral pressures of water, earth, and wind.
More fire resistance-because solid concrete is dense and is joint free.
More resistant to water-concrete has fewer and smaller voids than concrete block
Masonry Wall Construction – the basement walls are made with masonry block units. There are many joints where the masonry units connect to each other so make sure your basement is properly reinforced and the walls are waterproofed (not dampproofed) to avoid water seepage.
Precast panel Basements are poured concrete panels lifted into place with a crane. See Superior Walls website for a description of this procedure.
Call your local building department and ask them what type of basement construction they recommend and that they hear few or no complaints about